Schizophrenia Research Foundation
The Saraswathi Educational Cultural and Charitable Trust has been proudly supporting the Schizophrenia Research Foundation since 2006. Our Trust has been supporting the mental health programmes of this institution. Dr. C. K Garyali, Adviser to the Saraswathi Educational Cultural and Charitable Trust has also been serving as one of the Board Members of the Planning Committee of the Schizophrenia Research Foundation.
The Schizophrenia Research Foundation (SCARF), is a non governmental, non profit organization in Chennai (Formerly Madras) in south India Founded in 1984 by a group of philanthropists and mental health professionals led by Dr. M.Sarada Menon, an internationally known psychiatrist, SCARF has established itself as a center of repute in rehabilitation and research in disorders of the mind. The present team led by the Director Dr.R.Thara is composed of psychiatrists, psychologists, social workers, rehab personnel, administrative and support staff. SCARF is one of the very few NGOs in the world to be named as a Collaborating Center of the World Health Organization (WHO) for Mental Health Research and Training.
Objectives of SCARF
- Research into biological, social and psychological aspects of Schizophrenia.
- Treatment and rehabilitation of people suffering from Schizophrenia and prevention/ reduction of disability.
- Community outreach programmes in urban slums and villages to offer treatment and improve awareness.
- Educating the public about Schizophrenia, to create awareness and understanding, to facilitate early detection, and to eliminate social stigmatisation.
- Training programmes to various groups of workers on principles of detection and management of mental illnesses.
- Lobbying extensively with the Government and other apex bodies for programmes for the mentally disabled.
Various Units of SCARF
The nucleus of SCARF’s activities is in the centre at Anna Nagar in Chennai. This 4 storeyed building houses.
- Out patient clinic
- Day Care Center
- Vocational units for men and women
- Research wing with a computer cell
- Training and Education center
- Special services for women and elderly mentally disabled
- Child Guidance Clinic
- A residential facility for 35 persons
- Administration and accounts
Contact Details of Scarf:
The Schizophrenia Research Foundation
R/7a , North Main Road, Anna Nagar West Extension, Kailash Colony, Sector A
Anna Nagar West Extension, Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600101, India
Phone: + 91 - 44 - 2615 3971